Clients Macerich; Hines Interests LP; Kettler; Woodbine
Development Corp.; RTKL; SBA;
Size 1.4 Million + SF
Schedule January 2003 - Present
Services Fire Protection, Life Safety, Accessibility Consultation
- A one+ acre plaza connecting all building components
- Office tower, 21 levels
- Luxury residential tower, 30 levels
- Hyatt Regency Hotel, 17 levels
- Parking underneath the office and residential towers
CCI was fully involved at all levels of a code standpoint and developed the proper code approach for each portion of the project. Through meetings with the Fairfax County Building and Fire Officials, CCI was able to assist in obtaining project approvals. The project's fire protection and life safety challenges and solutions included:
1. Overall fire department vehicle access to each of thebuildings(pumperandladdertrucks).
2. Confirmation of the covered mall building classification for the existing mall.
3. Code approach for an elevated one+ acre plaza connecting multiple buildings including:
a. Clarification of the occupant load.
b. Approval of the use of smoke protected assembly seating exit capacity factors and travel distance limitations.
c. Construction type.
d. Exterior wall ratings eliminated.
e. Exit signage.
f. Public address system.
4. No fire walls in garage levels beneath the towers even with property lines extending through the garage.
5. Evaluation of a 2006 IBC high-rise connected to a 2009 IBC high-rise.
6. Specialty office tenant egress analysis and floor opening designs.
7. Hotel atrium design.
8. Overall exit stair discharge analysis due to location of discharge underneath the plaza.
9. Phased construction matters. 10. Phasedoccupancyneeds.